Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 4th, 2011

I just finished my first “Navy shower” – and it wasn’t as bad as I expected.  The ship produces its own water supply, and can produce up to 300,000 gallons daily, but given the number of people on board, water conservation is highly encouraged.  Hence, showers are to be turned on only to get wet and then during the rinsing step.  I thought this would be really cold and miserable, but it turns out they keep the “head” (Navy term for bathroom) really warm.  Which is especially nice considering that our “berths” (rooms) are freezing.  Not sure why this is, but I’m definitely glad I brought my own blanket.

I’ve been on board the Comfort for just under 24 hours now.  It feels like much, much longer.  I’m hoping this has less to do with the possibility that time is crawling, and more to do with the fact that it has been a completely packed 24 hours.  After in-processing late last night, I found my berth – no small feat, given the quaint and distinctive Navy terminology for right, left, front, back, stairs, walls, and the completely un-intuitive room numbering system.  I was very happy to find that I was assigned to an 8-person stateroom – many of the junior officers and all of the enlisted personnel are in “overflow” – 126-person bays.  So far, there are only 4 women assigned to my room – but more staff will continue to inprocess over the next several days, so I’m expecting that to change.  The room is plain and utilitarian.  I’ve dressed my portion up with a nice red blanket and some pictures of Scott and the kids.  I’m hoping to get to the NEX (Navy exchange – like a big Wal-Mart, but tax-free!) over the next 2-3 days to get a few more decorations.

My day today started at 5:45am – similar to being at home, but without the cute kids jumping in bed with me. L  Breakfast was cafeteria-style, and fine.  Then we “mustered” (gathered) in our duty station – my duty station is sick call.  That means while we’re underway, I’ll be helping to care for ship personnel who get sick or injured.  Not particularly glamorous.  We met several Navy and Air Force people in charge (haven’t figured out all the actual titles yet), and then it was death by PowerPoint, where I learned how to deal with actual ship emergencies like Man Overboard, Abandon Ship, Fire on Deck, and Poop Back-Up.  Seriously, there must have been 30 slides on how old the ship’s pipes are and how nothing – NOTHING – goes down the drain except the 4 P’s (pee, poop, puke, and SHIP’S TOILET PAPER – get it?).  Ick.

An uneventful day, overall.  Completely overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.  I have used the word “surreal” to describe my thoughts many times over the last 24 hours.  To think that yesterday I woke up in my own cozy bed, and played with my precious angel kids, and kissed my amazing husband and parents goodbye, and now I’m on a huge Navy ship surrounded by 500 people who will quickly become my lifeline, but who I don’t know at all right now, is completely and utterly, well, surreal.  Exciting, but hard to grasp right now in my very sleep-deprived state.

Once we’re underway (at sea), it looks like internet access will be even more limited than I originally thought.  If I cannot access gmail or yahoo, I’ll be sure to pass on my official Navy email address.  Once I have it.  I didn’t make it that far today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Melissa, it does sound surreal! I'm sure you will appreciate your experience on the ship later. Thanks for keeping us posted! You will be in my prayers! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete