Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And the preparations continue...

T minus 4 or 5 days and counting...

Well, I've shot the M9, checked off literally dozens of pre-deployment checklists, attended and successfully completed CBRNE training (which, for those not in the military, means I can don a gas mask in 9 seconds or less), and processed the deployment line.  I've even accomplished things I haven't accomplished ("All your uniforms have been pre-treated with permethrin, right???"), and achieved the impossible (got my old government travel card re-activated after being issued the new card).  Travel orders and plane tickets - one way, a depressing observation - are in hand.  Nothing standing between me and the Comfort except a few short, precious days with my family.

Just want to say thanks to all my friends and family for all your support these last few weeks.  It really does make it easier.  And to those who have offered to look after Scott and the kids as well - THAT means the world.  I guess I won't know until I go, but I've always thought the harder job belonged to the person left at home - so any phone calls, words of encouragement, or offers for "grown up nights out" will, I'm sure, be much appreciated by him.

I'll try to write as often as I can on the ship, but given the promise of "EXTREMELY low bandwidth" and the 12 computers in the ship library that are shared by the several hundred crew, I won't make any guarantees.  I'll miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Meliss, from the point of view of someone totally uninformed, this does sound like a really interesting deployment, setting aside the fact that of course you'd prefer not to deploy at all. Will you be able to get postal mail while you're on the ship (living, I assume from the name of it, in utter comfort)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU
    couldn't help but think of this video and you. WARNING: adult lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be thinking of you, Melissa. This really does sound like an exciting deployment, at least for the first few days. :) Thanks for keeping us posted! Oh, and please excuse my silly husband for using the title, "Melissa's Boyfriend." I guess you understand silliness being married to Scott and all. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete